Outdoor Education for Schools
See what cannot be seen from land and bring your classroom experience to life with Monarch Wildlife Cruises & Tours.
Option 1: One Hour Wildlife Cruise
- Experience unrivalled viewing of the exciting diversity of wildlife which abounds on spectacular Taiaroa Head, the only mainland nesting place for Northern Royal Albatross in the world.
- Taiaora Head is also home to New Zealand Fur Seals and eight other nesting bird species.
- You may also see dolphins, sea lions and a fascinating array of rarely seen ocean birds including other species of albatross, penguins and marine mammals in their natural environment.
- Our experienced skippers and crew make environmental learning fun and informative for students of all ages.
- Have a look at the tour map or see Wildlife Tours for more information.
Timetable: 10.30am, 12.00noon, 2.00pm/ Winter: 2.30pm
We will be expecting you at Wellers Rock on the Otago Peninsula!
You need to provide your own transport for the 40 minute drive from Dunedin, please!
Option 2: Three Hour Round Trip
- Depart from Dunedin and cruise the length of the beautiful Otago Harbour, passing by the historic fishing village of Careys Bay and the working port of Port Chalmers.
- Continue your tour to the tip of the Otago Peninsula for the Wildlife Cruise aboard the M.V.Monarch. Enjoy unrivalled wildlife viewing. See what cannot be seen from the land. Albatross, New Zealand Fur Seals and up to 20 species of bird and marine life in their undisturbed and otherwise inaccessible environment. Learn the fascinating history and geology of the area.
- Take a scenic drive along the Otago Peninsula, enjoying spectacular harbour and ocean views (Cruise both ways in Winter*).
- Have a look at the tour map or see Wildlife Tours for more information
- Drop off at NZ Marine Studies Centre Portobello on request.
Timetable: Summer 9am/ Winter 1pm